Stepping into new roles at Society's AGM
Brian Harries takes the reins as 2018 Show President
The handover of annual duties took place at this week's Pembrokeshire Agricultural Society Ltd's AGM.
As outgoing President Richard Cole, of Whitland, handed over the chains of office he described his year at the helm as an unforgettable 12 months.
Now taking centre stage as 2018 Show President is Brian Harries.
Brian is well-known in the county for his charity fundraising, after-dinner speaking and as publican of Haverfordwest's Bristol Trader. His voluntary and charitable work was recognised in last year's New Year Honours list when he was presented with a British Empire Medal.
He will be joined in his duties by his wife, Margaret.
Brian joined the YFC when he was 16. He has been a sponsor of Pembrokeshire County Show for a number of years, but has not been directly involved with the running of the show.
He said it was an honour to be asked to take on the prestigious role and one that he is relishing.
He said: "No-one succeeds as an individual, you need a team to succeed.
"I'm going to roll my sleeves up tomorrow morning and get to work."
He also praised the Society's Chief Executive Jan Pearce saying: "Jan leads from the front, a lady of immense ability and immense influence."
One of Brian's first duties as President was to reveal this year's successful applicant for Lady Ambassador.
Stepping into the role is 27-year-old Marged Simons, of Narberth.
Marged is an active member of Llawhaden YFC and her passion is showing her Welsh Ponies and Cobs where she has had much success.
She said: "The show provides the opportunity to bridge the gap between the town and agricultural industry and I feel that it can be used to educate about farming and allow farmers to showcase their animals and products.
"The work the Society does on an annual basis is fantastic for the local economy, so gaining the support of all Pembrokeshire people albeit in agriculture, business or purely spectators to events is vital for the sustainability of the Society."
The Society's treasurer Nicola Owen, was also announced as President-Elect. She will be supported in her duties by her husband Roger.
The weather for last year's show was described as 'challenging' during the meeting, but following on-going consultations with stakeholders there will be lots of new and exciting plans being revealed for this year's event. There will also be a revised showground layout.
The 2018 show takes place from August 14-16.
PICTURES: Lisa Soar
- Pembrokeshire Agricultural Society Student Bursary Award
- New for 2019 - The Scarlets Village and Kit Launch
- New Lady Ambassador
- Stepping into new roles at Society's AGM
- Fun day provides a heartwarming tale
- PAS Ltd Privacy Statement
- Car boot sales
- Presidents diary
- PAS Attend The Twinned Tinahely Show
- Sheaf Throwing At This Years Show
- The President's Blog
- New addition to our 2019 Show!
- The 2019 Show
- Student Bursary 2019
- Dogs at the 2019 Show
- Introducing Nicola Owen - the new President
- Competition Time
- The Castle Archers
- Littler Farmers Education Competition Winner
- Family Day Out
- Ladies Day - Wed 14th August 2019
- Craft & Horticulture at The Show 2019
- Food at the 2019 show
- Love Agriculture & countryside
- What you need to know for the 2019 show
- Message from Jan Pearce
- Message from Nicola Owen, President
- Lady Ambassador, Lorna Richards
- Refill your water bottles at the Show (1)
- Bursary Award Winner 2019
- Janet Cornock - Winner Idris Davies Memorial
- VIBRANT FOOD AND DRINK SCENE’ CELEBRATED IN PRODUCE MARK AWARDS
- Student Award Winners 2019
- Brian Lewis - Winner of Ian Fudge Perp Award
- Good Hook Award
- Mark Reynolds & Vincent Goffin Award Winners
- Welsh Government announce funding of £47,000 for DPJ Foundation
- Ministerial Visit for the Pembrokeshire County Show 2019
- Ladies Day 2019
- Championing Refill Pembrokshire’s mission at the 2019 show
- Cattle Championship Results 2019
- 2019 Tradestand Winners
- Scarlets Kit Launch at the 2019 Show
- Comedy Night 2019
- More muck than judgement - Friday 25th October 2019
- Harvest Festival - Wednesday 9th October 2019
- It's a sell out! (Extra date added)
- Christmas Carol Service - Mon 16th Dec 2019
- 2020 Membership Rates
- 2020 Sponsorship Opportunities
- West Wales Poultry Show
- "Let's get Quizzical"
- Equine Event on March 13th at Pembrokeshire County Showground
- Applications now open for the Role of Ambassador 2020
- £600 cheque donation made to CRY
- Wedding Fayre
- Covid 19 Event Update
- Covid 19 Updated 24th March
Pembrokeshire Agricultural Society Student Bursary Award
Would you like some extra financial support to assist your chosen college and career path?Read More
Tradestand Applications now open!
Please click here to get our 2020 County Show Trade Stand Application FormRead More
Become a member
Join the Pembrokeshire Agricultural Society and enjoy great savings and the benefits of membership at the annual Coun...Read More