Winner of Pembrokeshire County Show’s Little Farmer’s art competition.
Lola Barnett has got plenty to smile about - her artistic talent has won her a top competition.
A pupil at Maenclochog CP School, Lola was the winner of Pembrokeshire County Show's Little Farmer's art competition.
She's won £150 for her school, £50 for herself and most importantly will have the logo she designed featured on the banner for the Pembrokeshire Little Farmer's Education Marquee at the county's top event this summer.
Kath Wilson & Lola Barnett with her winning entry
Over 80 entries were received for the competition, with Little Farmers organiser Kath Wilson and 2019 show president Nicola Owen having the unenviable task of selecting the winner.
Headteacher of Maenclochog CP School, Shan Clarke said: "We are delighted with Lola's personal achievement. She has exceptional artistic skills and a good knowledge of agriculture which are evident in her competition entry. The whole school is proud of her."
Visitors to the show which takes place at the County Showground, Withybush, Haverfordwest, from August 13-15 will be able to hop on the land train and visit the Pembrokeshire Little Farmers Marquee - one of the main attractions for families.
Explained Kath Wilson: "The Little Farmers Marquee is aimed at teaching children (as well as the general public) about how our food is grown in Pembrokeshire. It's an interactive farm to fork experience. The children can see what cows eat and drink to enable them to produce milk and follow the journey of milk and how it is made into other products like yogurt, ice-cream, butter etc. Similarly, they can see how wheat becomes flour and is turned dough and then pizza. They will also be able to see chickens and a variety of eggs, the different way vegetables grow, plus there will be bees and they can see how the bees make honey and how it is collected. Having taught for 23 years locally, you would be amazed at how many children think milk, as well as eggs, meat, are in our shops because they come from a factory and are made there hence I feel strongly that we need to teach and show Pembrokeshire children what is being produced in our county and how it gets to us!"
There's also the Little Barn Farm to visit which will also be a huge hit with children. It's a new addition to the show and will be home to lots of baby animals for handling opportunities, including beef and dairy calves, lambs, chicks, ducks and goats (ok kids!).
This can be found at the Countryside Paddock area which features gundog and birds of prey displays and a chance to be coached in clay shooting and archery. In addition, Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority's stand will be focussing on the theme of pollinators and wildflowers and will largely be made up of interactive elements, including 'creating a bug hotel' and a 'wildflower sculpture' made entirely of bottle tops.
And what's even more exciting - all primary school children in Pembrokeshire will receive free entry tickets to the show as a result of a partnership between Pembrokeshire County Council and the Pembrokeshire Agricultural Society. The tickets are being distributed by schools so parents/guardians, please check their schoolbags!
Shan Clarke, Nicola Owen, Kath Wilson, Lola Barnett and Jan Pearce
- Job Opportunity
- Pembrokeshire Agricultural Society Student Bursary Award
- New for 2019 - The Scarlets Village and Kit Launch
- New Lady Ambassador
- Stepping into new roles at Society's AGM
- Show Launch 2018
- Fun day provides a heartwarming tale
- PAS Ltd Privacy Statement
- Car boot sales
- Presidents diary
- PAS Attend The Twinned Tinahely Show
- Sheaf Throwing At This Years Show
- The President's Blog
- New addition to our 2019 Show!
- IMPS New for 2019
- The 2019 Show
- Student Bursary 2019
- Dogs at the 2019 Show
- Introducing Nicola Owen - the new President
- Competition Time
- The Castle Archers
- Littler Farmers Education Competition Winner
- Family Day Out
- Ladies Day - Wed 14th August 2019
- Craft & Horticulture at The Show 2019
- Food at the 2019 show
- Love Agriculture & countryside
- What you need to know for the 2019 show
- Message from Jan Pearce
- Message from Nicola Owen, President
- Lady Ambassador, Lorna Richards
- Refill your water bottles at the Show (1)
- Bursary Award Winner 2019
- Janet Cornock - Winner Idris Davies Memorial
- VIBRANT FOOD AND DRINK SCENE’ CELEBRATED IN PRODUCE MARK AWARDS
- Student Award Winners 2019
- Brian Lewis - Winner of Ian Fudge Perp Award
- Good Hook Award
- Mark Reynolds & Vincent Goffin Award Winners
- Welsh Government announce funding of £47,000 for DPJ Foundation
- Ministerial Visit for the Pembrokeshire County Show 2019
- Ladies Day 2019
- Championing Refill Pembrokshire’s mission at the 2019 show
- Cattle Championship Results 2019
- 2019 Tradestand Winners
- Scarlets Kit Launch at the 2019 Show
Pembrokeshire Agricultural Society Student Bursary Award
Would you like some extra financial support to assist your chosen college and career path?Read More
Tradestand Applications now open!
Please click here to get our 2019 County Show Trade Stand Application FormRead More
Become a member
Join the Pembrokeshire Agricultural Society and enjoy great savings and the benefits of membership at the annual Coun...Read More