Our youngest ever female President
Introducing Nicola Owen
Pembrokeshire Agricultural Society has appointed its youngest ever female President.
Forty-three-year-old Nicola Owen is the second lady to ever be elected President and she's eagerly counting down the days to the society's pinnacle event - Pembrokeshire County Show.
Nicola took over the role from well-known Haverfordwest licencee and charity fundraiser Brian Harries BEM.
A former student at Slebech VC (The Rhos), St. Aidans VA (Wiston) and Sir Thomas Picton Secondary School, Nicola, who is married to Roger, lives on the 180-acre family dairy farm in Clarbeston and is qualified accountant and client manager at Llewelyn Davies, Chartered Accountants and Registered Auditors, in Whitland.
Her family's farming heritage stretches back for generations - it's in the blood!
An active member of Pembrokeshire Agricultural Society, Nicola (nee Hancock) is not only President, but also Treasurer and a Trustee.
A past member of Haverfordwest YFC, Nicola says her school summer holidays meant spending varying amounts of time at the showground for as long as she can remember.
"I was brought up in a household that ate, breathed and slept the County Show each year in August. We have always gone to the show every day, come rain or shine," she says.
One of Nicola's earliest memories is being with her dad, Richard, in the cattle shed during the weekend before the show when he was a steward on the cattle section at the age of about five or six.
Nicola continued: "When I was about 10, I was given the job of being a 'runner' for dad when the cattle classes were being judged - which meant bringing the slips of paper with results for the classes to the announcers and running any errands for him. I did this for a few years and I was then approached by the then show secretary, Bill Finn, to work in the show office over the summer holidays. I was thrilled to be asked and readily accepted. My first year working there was in 1990, and I continued to work in the office every summer until 1997 when I graduated. I also took annual leave from my job at Llewelyn Davies to work a couple of weeks prior to the show in the show office in 1998 and 1999. The experience I gained at the show office was invaluable to me and really helped with my personal development. I also made lifelong friendships with many people during that time. I really have grown up with the show!"
Nicola also stewarded with her late father-in-law on the Section B Welsh Ponies, before helping to look after sponsors during the show which led to her becoming chief sponsors steward before becoming the hon treasurer.
Taking on the Presidential role means Nicola is following in the footsteps of her father, Richard. He held the position in 1999, having been a member of the show council since the early 1990s and show director for a period of 14 years.
"He now holds the position of hon life show governor and I feel very proud to be following in his footsteps," adds Nicola.
"I am very honoured to have been nominated and elected to the role of President of the society for 2019. To try and explain what it means to me is difficult to put it words - although I have been heavily involved with the show over the years, I did not expect to be bestowed this honour and don't think it has started to sink in yet! I am delighted to have been elected, feel humbled by the kindness and support I have received, and am very much looking forward to our flagship event - the show!
"There has only ever been one previous lady President in the past - Shirley Johns - and that was 15 years ago, so it's been quite a while since there has been a lady President.
"My aim for my year of office is to represent the society in as many events as possible, to make and build on connections with as many businesses and organisations as possible and to try to spread the word about what the show and society has to offer. I want people to come to the show and enjoy it as much as I do!"
We look forward to seeing you all - Tuesday 13th August to Thursday 15th August at the Withbush Show Ground
- Job Opportunity
- Pembrokeshire Agricultural Society Student Bursary Award
- New for 2019 - The Scarlets Village and Kit Launch
- New Lady Ambassador
- Stepping into new roles at Society's AGM
- Fun day provides a heartwarming tale
- PAS Ltd Privacy Statement
- Car boot sales
- Presidents diary
- PAS Attend The Twinned Tinahely Show
- Sheaf Throwing At This Years Show
- The President's Blog
- New addition to our 2019 Show!
- IMPS New for 2019
- The 2019 Show
- Student Bursary 2019
- Dogs at the 2019 Show
- Introducing Nicola Owen - the new President
- Competition Time
- The Castle Archers
- Littler Farmers Education Competition Winner
- Family Day Out
- Ladies Day - Wed 14th August 2019
- Craft & Horticulture at The Show 2019
- Food at the 2019 show
- Love Agriculture & countryside
- What you need to know for the 2019 show
- Message from Jan Pearce
- Message from Nicola Owen, President
- Lady Ambassador, Lorna Richards
- Refill your water bottles at the Show (1)
- Bursary Award Winner 2019
- Janet Cornock - Winner Idris Davies Memorial
- VIBRANT FOOD AND DRINK SCENE’ CELEBRATED IN PRODUCE MARK AWARDS
- Student Award Winners 2019
- Brian Lewis - Winner of Ian Fudge Perp Award
- Good Hook Award
- Mark Reynolds & Vincent Goffin Award Winners
- Welsh Government announce funding of £47,000 for DPJ Foundation
- Ministerial Visit for the Pembrokeshire County Show 2019
- Ladies Day 2019
- Championing Refill Pembrokshire’s mission at the 2019 show
- Cattle Championship Results 2019
- 2019 Tradestand Winners
- Scarlets Kit Launch at the 2019 Show
- Comedy Night 2019
- More muck than judgement - Friday 25th October 2019
- Harvest Festival - Wednesday 9th October 2019
- It's a sell out! (Extra date added)
- Christmas Fayre - Sun 15th Dec 2019
- Christmas Carol Service - Mon 16th Dec 2019
Pembrokeshire Agricultural Society Student Bursary Award
Would you like some extra financial support to assist your chosen college and career path?Read More
Tradestand Applications now open!
Please click here to get our 2019 County Show Trade Stand Application FormRead More
Become a member
Join the Pembrokeshire Agricultural Society and enjoy great savings and the benefits of membership at the annual Coun...Read More